The kernel keeps restarting after recent update

Anirban Chowdhary
  • 4 Sep '23

After the recent update, my kernel keeps dying. I keep getting an error "Server unavailable or unreachable. Your server /lab/user/user@mail.com is not running. Would you like to restart it?"

Dylan Nelson
  • 6 Sep '23

Are you running a piece of code that causes this to happen?

Anirban Chowdhary
  • 7 Sep '23

Well no, this happens even when the kernel is completely idle.

To check if any piece of code was causing the problem, I tried running a basic 2 line code with only print statements. Its the same everytime.

The memory usage bar gradually goes up until it reaches maximum and then suddenly the error pops up. I had been using the jupyter lab without any problems before the update, after the update I don't remember making any changes as such.

Dylan Nelson
  • 7 Sep '23

I don't see the behavior you describe.

If you restart your server, and everything is fresh, then if you don't execute any code, the memory usage won't go up, and the kernel doesn't do anything. (This is also true, right now, for your Lab).

I would suggest to try to isolate what particular code you may be running which causes you trouble.

Anirban Chowdhary
  • 8 Sep '23

I think I might have isolated the problem. It probably isn't happening due to any code. I was monitoring the processes that were taking up my CPU usage, turn out git keeps running in the background and takes up ~100% of the CPU usage.

I remember trying to initialize a git repo some time back, which failed. (Since I am not very comfortable using git, I didn't try again). I think I made a mistake somewhere. As it looks I initialized the wrong directory.

I can't find a way to undo this. I have found a makeshift hack to keep working for the time. I am running an infinite loop to kill git every time it starts. But that doesn't seem to be the right thing to do,

I am attaching a screenshot if that helps

Screenshot from 2023-09-08 13-54-21.png

Dylan Nelson
  • 8 Sep '23

I can reset your Lab (deleting all files), that should fix it. Let me know if you want to do this. If you want to move all your important files into a "keep" directory, I can save these.

Anirban Chowdhary
  • 11 Sep '23

Oh, that would be great.

I usually try and keep all my important files with me locally after every session. So you can go ahead and delete all files.

Thank you so much.

Dylan Nelson
  • 12 Sep '23

All done, let me know if you still have problems.

Anirban Chowdhary
  • 12 Sep '23

Yeah, its working wonderfully. Thank you so much. I'll be careful next time.

• Page 1 of 1