Stellar Age for TNG-100

Zeyu Gao
  • 7 Mar '23

Hi Prof. Nelson,

There seems no stellar age catalog to download. If that's true, could you please send me the luminosity-weight and mass-weighted stellar age for TNG100-1 at snapnum=099?

Thanks,
Zeyu Gao

Dylan Nelson
  • 7 Mar '23

I don't think there is any such catalog available, however you could compute these from the stellar particles of each galaxy. Is that what you mean?

Dylan Nelson
  • 7 Mar '23

See also this thread.

Zeyu Gao
  • 8 Mar '23

Thank you for your reply!
I tried to compute them in the Lab for a single galaxy and it works. But I need the stellar age for all galaxies in that snapshot to do some statistics, and I suffer from connecting issues when calculating them one by one.
I notice that you have provided the stellar age catalog in this thread and this one, but the catalogs can not be downloaded now. Can you please upload these stellar age catalogs again for TNG-100 at snapnum=099?

Thanks,
Zeyu Gao

Dylan Nelson
  • 8 Mar '23

I have put the files I have available at

https://www.tng-project.org/files/TNG100-1_StellarAges/

you can see the radial aperture, and weighting, of each.

If you need something else, you would need to calculate it yourself. I think your approach is OK, at the beginning you should just start a new HDF5 file of your results. Each time you compute the age of one subhalo, you should open this file, save it into the array at the right location, and then close the file. If your connection is ever interrupted, you can simply restart and keep going, making sure you skip entries which are already done.

Zeyu Gao
  • 8 Mar '23

Thank you so much! That helps a lot!

Thanks,
Zeyu Gao

• Page 1 of 1