Conversion from comoving to physical coordinates

Justo Antonio Gonzalez Villalba
  • 21 Jun '22

Hi Dylan,

I am not clear about the conversion from comoving coordinates to physical coordinates:

-In the data specification some magnitudes appear with the hubble factor (h=0.67) in the units. For example, the units of Masses are 1e10Msun / h. In this case should I multiply by the hubble parameter (h=0.67) to cancel it in the denominator in the units, and recover physical units (1e10Msun), or is it the other way around, and I should divide by the hubble parameter?

-Same question for the scale factor. For example, the units of Potential are (km/s)^2/a. In this case should I multiply or divide by the scale factor to recover (km/s)^2.

-Finally, some fields appear with comoving kiloparsec, for example Coordinates have as units ckpc/h. In this case, and assuming that the h factor is cancelled out correctly, what remains is physical kpc, or is it necessary a further transformation from ckpc to kpc?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Dylan Nelson
  • 21 Jun '22

Hi Justo,

Yes this can be confusing, and in general it's good to double-check with any existing numbers to make sure you're going in the right direction. Lengths/coordinates are an easy one, since TNG100 is 75 cMpc/h ~ 110 cMpc.

In all cases, ckpc/h means you need to both (i) remove the little h factor, and (ii) also then convert from comoving to physical. (By multiplying by the scalefactor). You can see some other examples e.g. in the table on the Data Background page.

• 21 Jun '22

Thanks for the pointer!

Could you confirm if the following examples are correct? (assuming h=0.67 and a =0.8 (z = 0.25) )

-'Masses' is stored as 67 1e10Msun / h, so the physical mass would be 67/h = 67/0.67 = 100 1e10Msun

-'Potential' is stored as 8 (km/s)^2/a, so the physical potential would be 8/a = 8/0.8 = 10 (km/s)^2

-'Coordinates' is stored as 6.7 ckpc/h, so the comoving coordinates would be 6.7/h = 6.7/6.7 = 1 ckpc, and the phsicial coordinates 1*a = 0.8 kpc

Dylan Nelson
  • 21 Jun '22

Yes it seems ok to me, except a typo (?) with 6.7/h = 6.7/6.7.

• 22 Jun '22

Yep,there was a typo in the last line, it should read:

-'Coordinates' is stored as 6.7 ckpc/h, so the comoving coordinates would be 6.7/h = 6.7/0.67 = 10 ckpc, and the physical coordinates 10*a = 8 kpc

Thanks again for all clarifications!

• Page 1 of 1