Sublink Subhalo Matching?

Harry Chittenden
  • 27 May '22

Hello,

I am trying to cross-match z=0 sublink subhalos in TNG100-1 and TNG300-1 with their equivalent DMO runs.

As I understand it, the file subhalo_matching_to_dark.hdf5 contains lists of SubfindID values in the dark run, ordered by the IDs in the baryonic simulation. So if I have a list of unique IDs A, from the baryonic run, and I call data['Snapshot_99']['SubhaloIndexDark_SubLink'][A], it returns the corresponding IDs in the dark simulation.

I have done this and found that several dark IDs appear repeatedly, which cannot be right as this assumes a 1-to-1 correspondence. So what am I doing wrong, and is there a way to enforce a unique translation from baryonic to dark sublink IDs?

Dylan Nelson
  • 27 May '22

I copy the documentation here (in short, I would suggest to use SubhaloIndexDark_LHaloTree instead, as this provides a 1-to-1 match.

The first array SubhaloIndexDark_LHaloTree is based on the LHaloTree matching algorithm. The matching is bidirectional, i.e. TNG <-> DMO. In each case, the best subhalo candidate is chosen as that with the largest number of matching DM particles (α=0
). Only if the candidate in each direction agrees (bijective), then these matches are saved.

The second array SubhaloIndexDark_SubLink is based on the SubLink weighting algorithm. The direction of the matching is TNG -> DMO, i.e. for each subhalo in the baryonic physics box a best match is found in the DMO run.
Harry Chittenden
  • 30 May '22

Thanks Dylan, quick follow-up to this.
Using either of the two fields, I notice that central subhalos in the baryonic run are not necessarily matched to dark centrals. For instance, subhalo 482814 in TNG100-1 is matched to subhalo 20 in TNG100-1-Dark, which is a satellite of the most massive halo.
So how can we trust whether centrals are accurately matched to centrals, and satellites to satellites? Why does this happen?

Dylan Nelson
  • 30 May '22

This should be rare? If it occurs e.g. 1% of the time (for massive halos), then you could discard these.

Otherwise, you would want to look in more detail and see if the matches are reasonable. Is 482814 in TNG100-1 near the most massive halo? Perhaps it is slightly "ahead" (in time) in TNG100-1-Dark and thus became a satellite?

Harry Chittenden
  • 30 May '22

Indeed it is, the subhalos appear to be ~1640 kpc/h apart. That makes sense.

• Page 1 of 1