Question about Visualize Galaxies tool

Ekaterina Kireeva
  • 13 May '21

Hello fellow astronomers!
I'm studying simulated elliptical galaxies and your Visualize Galaxies and Halos tool appeared very useful. However I cannot understand the meaning of some fields, for example what is the difference between velocity_x and vel_x? Where can I find the detailed explanations for all of the fields?

Dylan Nelson
  • 14 May '21

Dear Ekaterina,

You are right, this is not documented sufficiently. I will think how best to describe these more fully in the future.

You can find a list of all available options on the API specifications, under The known "particle/cell quantities" which can be used for partField are:.

In particular, velocity_x and vel_x are exactly the same, I will remove one for clarity in the future.

Ekaterina Kireeva
  • 14 May '21

Thanks! Looking forward to getting the full describe someday!

Rodrigo Freitas
  • 19 Sep '22

Hi Dylan,

I am downloading visualization of halos through the API and I using the method "sphMap". I assume that this method is an interpolation kernel, right?
Is there any reference for the mathematical form of "sphMap" or the parameters used in it?

Dylan Nelson
  • 19 Sep '22

Yes this is the "standard" cubic spline (smoothing) kernel used in SPH, with one size parameter h which, for gas, is set equal to 2.5 times the equivalent-volume spherical radius, as described in e.g. Nelson+16.

You can find similar methods in public codes such as pysphviewer, pygad, or swiftsimio.

I hope to publicly release all the code behind the TNG website functionality in the future, as a source of reference.

Rodrigo Freitas
  • 19 Sep '22

Thank you for the quick response!

• Page 1 of 1