Morphology for TNG300-1

amirhossein khoram
  • 2 Apr '20

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to determine the morphology of TNG300-1 datasets.
I could find the specific files for TNG100 and I thought I should calculate the morphology of the TNG300 galaxies by myself due to the method that has been shown in Rodriguez-Gomez+ (2019) paper.

Is there any specific information about the galaxies morphology of TNG300 dataset?

Thank you for your attention.

Dylan Nelson
  • 3 Apr '20

Hello,

You're right the SKIRT-based images and "optical morphology" data catalog (l) is not available for TNG300.

However there are some "kinematic morphology" data available, e.g. CircAbove07Frac from the (c) Stellar Circularities, Angular Momenta, Axis Ratios dataset, I would suggest to start with those. This field provides a reasonable way to select disks vs spheroids.

amirhossein khoram
  • 4 Apr '20

Thank you for your attention.

That was really helpful professor. I do not know if it is appropriate to ask you to explain a little how those parameters could help us to understand the galaxy's morphology.
I understand how angular momenta, disc, and bulge properties can describe the shape of the galaxy but how we can explain if the galaxy is spiral or not with these informations?

Dylan Nelson
  • 4 Apr '20

Hello,

This catalog is from Genel+ (2015), and you can start there for more information about how the quantity is derived, what it means, etc.

amirhossein khoram
  • 23 Apr '20

Thank you very much. I always appreciate your quick and comprehensive response.

I have another question. Does "CircAbove07Frac " and "CircTwiceBelow0Frac" could give me the disk to bulge ratio?

Dylan Nelson
  • 23 Apr '20

Hello,

Yes as the documentation implies, these are two (of many) possible definitions for both disk and bulge, so the ratio can give an answer for B/T or D/T or D/B type ratios. Whether or not this is appropriate, or best, would depend on the science application.

amirhossein khoram
  • 23 Apr '20

Hello,

thank you for your response.
Yes, I have seen this in the documentation. So, please tell me if I am wrong. I understand that by dividing "CircTwiceBelow0Frac" by "CircAbove07Frac " I would have Bulge to Disk ratio. right? and this would be a good parameter to determine subhalos morphology?

• Page 1 of 1