Illustris-1 some snapshots missing particle information

Murti Nauth
  • 4 Apr '19

I am using the bit of code provided to access the API and save each piece of 133 snapshots of Illustris-1 black hole particle data as hdf5 files. Unfortunately, when I peer into each hdf5 file and list the keys, some snapshots only include "Header" rather than "Header" and "PartType5." I'm after the coordinates of the black holes, specifically the merging ones, so I am open to alternative measures if there is a smoother way to access that data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dylan Nelson
  • 4 Apr '19

Hi Murti,

I think this should be ok, it's possible that some chunks have zero of a particular particle type.

If you load all the file pieces, do you recover the total number of expected BHs (i.e. NumPart_Total[5])?

Murti Nauth
  • 5 Apr '19

There are entire snapshots which do not contain any black hole particle information. Is that to be expected as well? I am uncertain of what the total number of expected BHs should be. Where might I find that information?

Murti Nauth
  • 9 Apr '19

In the "blackhole mergers" file, the first merger occurs in snapshot 39, however, that snapshot does not have any black hole particle information.

Dylan Nelson
  • 9 Apr '19

Hi Murti,

If you look at the API page for Illustris-1 snapshot 39, it should have 323 blackhole particles.

Murti Nauth
  • 9 Apr '19

Thanks, Dylan!

• Page 1 of 1